- It’s been a bit of below two years since HMD Global introduced the Nokia smartphone emblem again to lifestyles.
- The corporate currently had a surprisingly-frank dialogue about what it’s achieved to this point — and what’s coming up subsequent.
- One of the extra exceptional stats is that HMD Global has offered 70 million Nokia-branded telephones up to now two years.
In early 2017, HMD Global launched the Nokia 6, the primary Nokia-branded smartphone from the corporate after it purchased the rights for the logo in a while prior. Since the release of the Nokia 6, HMD Global has launched many different Nokia telephones — and has effectively revived the logo.
Recently, Britta Gerbracht — the brand new German advertising leader at HMD Global — attended a press convention to speak about the recently-released Nokia 8.1, by the use of WinFuture. During the convention, Gerbacht used to be unusually open about what HMD has achieved with the Nokia emblem up to now, and what the corporate has deliberate for the longer term.
We’ve compiled the juiciest tidbits mentioned on the convention underneath:
- Since 2017, HMD Global has offered 70 million Nokia-branded telephones. That’s an enormous quantity and represents an incredible good fortune on HMD Global’s section. However, understand that quantity contains characteristic telephones in addition to smartphones. HMD Global used to be no longer transparent on what number of smartphones make up that 70 million quantity.
- The majority of Nokia telephone patrons are over 35 years outdated, male, and up to now bought Nokia-branded telephones earlier than HMD Global took over the logo. The moderate Nokia telephone purchaser additionally holds directly to the telephone for longer than maximum different patrons do with maximum different manufacturers. HMD Global issues to the corporate’s robust reference to Google and the Android One program as a conceivable explanation why for that final statistic.
- Cheaper Nokia units are what carry house the bacon. The Nokia 6.1 is the best-seller over the last two years, for instance. Its beginning retail value is $269.
- Flagships aren’t doing in addition to HMD Global would have was hoping. Cheaper units are doing neatly, however high-end flagships bearing the Nokia emblem aren’t. The Nokia 8 Sirocco, for instance, used to be a gross sales unhappiness for HMD Global.
- Colorful is out, easy is in. According to Gerbracht, units in blacks, blues, and silvers are promoting higher than units that are available colourful tones. As such, be expecting much more “fundamental” colours for Nokia telephones in 2019.
- There might be no Nokia 9 this yr. The long-awaited Nokia 9 flagship continues to be in construction and gained’t release in 2018. This isn’t too unexpected, as there are just a few weeks left.
- There might be “.2” fashions soon and may pass even upper. The “.1” telephones — such because the recently-launched Nokia 8.1 — will proceed, however with upper numbers. In different phrases, stay up for Nokia 8.2, Nokia 6.4, and so forth. (as though it wasn’t complicated sufficient already).
- No gaming smartphone within the works. Although there were a couple of gaming-centric telephones released in 2018, Nokia isn’t making plans to get in at the development, as an alternative specializing in making their “common” units as have compatibility for gaming as conceivable, whilst warding off the “gaming” identify.
- No “unfashionable” telephones are deliberate for now. HMD Global made headlines a couple of occasions by way of launching “new” variations of unfashionable telephones, just like the Nokia 3310 revival. There are not more of some of these telephones within the pipeline, a minimum of for now.
This is a large number of knowledge, particularly whilst you believe this used to be intended to be a press convention simply about the Nokia 8.1. It’s refreshing to peer a smartphone corporate dish out this a lot data with out dancing round stats or dismissing press questions.
What do you suppose? Are you excited for the way forward for HMD Global? Do you intend to shop for a Nokia telephone in 2019? Let us know within the feedback!